Monday, January 28, 2013

Family vacation 2012: Hawaii

We arrived in Oahu on Sunday morning (December 16th) at about 6 am.  We were both exhausted from taking a red eye flight, and dealing with a fussy baby (see previous post).  We were staying at Turtle Bay resort, but unfortunately couldn't check in until 1:00. We picked up our rental car, and spent the day exploring the beautiful island.  Ella luckily slept the majority of the time in the car.  We stopped into a little beach side town on the North shore and got a world famous snow cone (they were called something else but I can't remember the name). I got 5 different flavors with condensed milk on top.  It was delicious, but huge so I couldn't finish it.
Turtle Bay resort
After checking in we took a nice afternoon nap.  Ella was still extremely fussy (want to throw your baby out the window kind of fussy... No I wouldn't really throw my baby out the window, but all moms can relate to this statement).  We decided we better take her to the doctor to make sure she didn't have an ear infection, since our attempt in Fiji failed.  We were able to see a doctor right away without having to wait.  Luckily no ear infection, just teething as we had suspected.  We got sushi for dinner, and then called it an early night at the hotel... well technically we tired to call it an early night, but Ella had a different plan in mind (aka stay up until 2 am crying).
Pool at Turtle Bay overlooking the ocean
North shore
The next morning (Monday), we went to the Polynesian cultural center.  I had heard great things about it so I was really looking forward to going.  I absolutely loved it!!!  It is owned by the LDS church which I wasn't aware of it.  The cultural center allows you to explore the different cultures and traditions of the different islands (eg Hawaii, Samoa, Tahiti, Tonga, Fiji etc).  They have different shows and activities to represent each island.  My favorite was the Samoa show.  We got to watch a guy start a fire by  rubbing sticks together, husk a coconut, and climb a coconut tree.  The guy performing was hilarious and by the end of the show my cheeks were burning from laughing so hard.  It was such a fun time!  It was really rainy, luckily we had ponchos and a rain cover for Ella's stroller, but because of the bad weather we didn't get very many pictures.
Polynesian Cultural Center
Tuesday we went to the Dole pineapple plantation.  We got to eat some yummy teryaki chicken with pineapple, and pineapple ice cream for dessert.  We walked around the gardens, and then went on the pineapple express... which is a train that takes you around the plantation.  It was such a fun day!

Ella loved the pineapple

Pineapple express

On the train
Wednesday morning we woke up, looked at my phone which said Thursday December 21st, and were in a mad panic thinking we had to check out that afternoon and catch our red eye flight to Utah. We got all packed up and even called the bell man to come up and pick up our bags.... I sent a text to my mom and Michelle saying see you in 24 hours.  I got two confused texts back saying "are you flying in on Thursday?" Apparently I had forgotten to switch my phone back to the correct time zone, which Fiji and Australia are a day ahead.  It made for a good laugh, and we were happy to find out we had an extra day in Hawaii.

That afternoon we went to Pearl Harbor.  We were able to go on the tour and see where the USS Arizona's resting place is.  It was so heart breaking to know that more than 2,500 people died in this attack.  They decided to leave the USS Arizona battleship as a permanent resting place for those people that lost their lives serving our country.  When you look into the ocean you can still see oil leaking from the ship.  It was a very humbling experience, and I am really glad I got to go.

We weren't able to do any other tours because Ella was tired, and it was getting late.  We really hope to go back to Pearl Habor one day and visit all the different exhibits.

USS Arizona
Ella taking a little nap in daddys arms
Thursday morning (last day in Hawaii) we went for a short walk to see the Waimea waterfall.  It was still rainy, but it was nice to get outside.


Waimea waterfall 

After our walk went and visited the LDS temple. 
Oahu temple visiting center

After visiting the temple we did a little shopping, ate some dinner and then it was off to the airport to fly home.  We loved Hawaii and can't wait to go back some day.

This is how Ella slept the whole flight.  She was sprawled out across my lap so I couldn't move the entire flight. haha  

No comments: