Monday, January 10, 2011

Daintree Rainforest tour

Aussie Slang Word of the Day is...


Away with the pixies and/or off with the fairies: Daydreaming

When I was doing prac at Fremantle Hospital, a cute little old lady whom I worked with use to always say... "oh sorry I was off with the fairies again." ha Such a cute saying.

As time goes on I have a harder time coming up with Aussie slang words to share with you all. After living here for just about a year, it's all becoming a blurr now what's an Aussie slang word and what's not. I sometimes catch myself using slang words and other times I'm completely oblivious until my lovely sister Michelle, points out over skype that I'm using strange words. Also, strangely I am always shocked when I hear an American accent. Like "Whoa where did this person come from?!?!" Of course I'm use to hearing Brandon's voice, American accents in movies, my families voices on skype etc. But when I hear an American accent out of context it always throws me for a loop... I'm so use to hearing an Aussie accent that anything else sounds strange now. Weird, but true. And no Brandon and I haven't picked up an Aussie accent since living here. I still somehow manage to sound British/Southern when I mimic an Aussie accent. Apparently I'm suppose to have an ear for accents and speech differences?!?! ha guess I picked the wrong career path (I'm in majoring speech pathology).

Anyway on to the trip part 2: Daintree Rain forest tour. After our Great Barrier Reef scuba trip we arrived back at the Travellers Oasis to do some land traveling. Our first day back we went on a day tour to the Daintree Rain forest.

I will warn you early on that there are mostly pictures of me on here... not because I'm being vain, but because Brandon likes to be the photographer on trips (that or he doesn't trust my photography abilities).

The first thing we did on the tour was go on a river cruise to spot wild crocodiles in their natural habitat. I should have taken a picture of this, but on the boat there was a sign that said "Do not lean outside of the boat. Do not hang arms outside of the boat. Warning crocodiles can jump." Well that's comforting... You don't want to mess with a croc. Most of the croc's we spotted were on land sunning themselves and taking a nap.

Crocodile river cruise

All aboard

This water looks perfect for crocodiles. You would never see it coming. Only Bear Grills would attempt to swim through a river like this.

We spotted a croc!
The bus dropped us off in a little town to have a browse through the gift shops, where I found this lovely piece of merchandise.... A stuffed crocodile.

Facing my fears head on! Who's the boss now croc? Take that!


After lunch at the Daintree Tea House where we ate fresh barramundi, we went bush walking up the Daintree rain forest. It was so beautiful. I felt like Jane in the jungle with my handsome husband Tarzan. :)

Daintree Rain forest


Tarzan

Going for a swim in the Daintree river



Beautiful view of Cairns


The tour ended at Hartleys Crocodile Adventure where we got to watch a live crocodile attack show. I'm not going to lie my heart was pumping pretty fast watching this. This show is insane! This guy goes inside a small cage with a wild crocodile (do not be fooled into thinking they somehow train these man eaters) and fed him. He showed us how the crocodile can jump nearly half it's body length and showed us the famous crocodile death roll. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. There was a new guy on the job (first day), who had to feed the crocodile with a piece of meat tied to the end of a rope (this was to show us the death roll) and basically played tug-a-war with the crocodile. The poor fella was sweating bullets. I would be too! Crikey these creatures are vicious. Crocodile attack show
All I gotta say is this guy is nuts! The tour was so much fun. Lot's of good memories. :) Next up... white water rafting!

1 comment:

john + becky said...

Everything looks like so much fun! The croc river cruise looked intense...ha ha...I would have been scared of the "jumping" crocs :/

I love when you update your blog!