G'day family and friends! My Aussie friends may have noticed (as one of them so kindly pointed out to me) that I made an error on one of Aussie slang words last week. I'm sorry to lead you astray. There was a typo... Sticky beat should have been Sticky beak. Sorry I didn't catch that one... hopefully all of my American readers haven't been going around calling people Sticky beats. That could be embarrassing. haha This error however did help me think of today's "Aussie Slang Word of the Day," which is:
Beet Root: Beets
Capsicum: Bell Peppers
When we first went to Oz I went to subway and ordered my usual Italian BMT and asked for peppers and they started putting jalapenos on... so I quickly said "no, I just want bell peppers." They still looked a bit confused so I pointed. Later I found out that bell peppers are called capsicum here. Oh one of the many joys of being a foreigner.
So I thought I would finish my recap of our trip to Cairns. One of the adventurous things we signed up to do, was go white water rafting... Little did Brandon know that I secretly had a fear of falling off rafts. Some of my friends that attended USU with, may recall a time at Jackson hole (I think that's where it was), where we went floating down rapids on tubes.. well it didn't end pretty. My friend Krissy who I was sharing a tube with ended up breaking her nose (probably on my shoulder) and I ended up getting badly bruised and scrapped up after going off a small waterfall. So I was slightly hesitant about white water rafting, but figured it MUST be safe since thousands of people go on these excursions ever year. I would like to add that we booked in for the "extreme tour," which we later discovered entailed going down level 3 & 4 rapids (5 is the largest rapid)being tipped off the raft, swimming down rapids and cliff jumping.
Before we got into the raft we had to pretty much sign every liability release form available just in case we were to get injured or possibly die?!? As we started down the river our tour guide was gracious enough to tell us that the river had claimed two peoples lives alone this year. It didn't stop there after the tour he admitted that in his 11 years of working there he has had to resuscitate people and seen people die. But in his words "that's just mother nature taking it's course." We got a full rundown of the different maneuvers and what to do in case of emergency. Let me just say I was praying the whole way down....
It started out really steady and beautiful and for a split second you forgot what you had gotten yourself into....
We were enjoying ourselves as you can see. All smiles!
Then things got a little rocky....
And then things got just down right frightening! *make sure to click on the picture to get the full affect*
But we survived and through the terror, many prayers to let me live to see one more day, it ended up being a blast and I conquered my fear!
As if white water rafting wasn't enough to get your heart pumping and turn your anxiety into over drive... we decided on New years eve to jump out of an airplane from 14,000 feet!
1 comment:
Though I wouldn't skydive in a million years, I must say whitewater rafting is one of my very favorite things to do. I am totally jealous! I would've much rather been doing that than spending time with family over Christmas (don't tell my mom). :)
Post a Comment