Aussie Slang word of the day is…
Stickybeak: A nosy person
Hope everyone had an amazing Christmas and new years! Happy 2011! :) I can't believe next month we'll have been in Perth for a year. Time flies! I’ve decided to break up our holiday in Cairns into 4 different posts, one post for each activity we did. It would take too long to cram it into one post… because let's be honest, you know how I like to ramble. ;) We'll start it off with our 5 day trip to the Great Barrier Reef. yeeee haw! here it goes...
We arrived in Cairns (pronounced Cans) in Queensland Australia at about 6:00 am (Perth time 4:00 am), after a 4 hour red eye flight. We had to sleep in the airport for an hour to wait for the hostel to open. Luckily the airport was deserted so we sprawled out on the benches and zonked out for a good hour. The shuttle bus then took us to the ‘Travellers Oasis’.
We arrived in Cairns (pronounced Cans) in Queensland Australia at about 6:00 am (Perth time 4:00 am), after a 4 hour red eye flight. We had to sleep in the airport for an hour to wait for the hostel to open. Luckily the airport was deserted so we sprawled out on the benches and zonked out for a good hour. The shuttle bus then took us to the ‘Travellers Oasis’.
It was pouring rain when we arrived. It is currently their wet season and since Cairns is in the rain forest, they tend to get a lot of heavy rain fall this time of year. There has been massive flooding in all of Queensland, so we were a bit worried that the weather would put a damper on our holiday. Fortunately we had great weather the rest of the trip!
We spent the day lounging around and napping until the shuttle picked us up to go on the boat.
We spent the day lounging around and napping until the shuttle picked us up to go on the boat.
The 5 day, 4 night trip consisted of 14 dives around the Great Barrier Reef. We typically did around 3-4 dives a day. We woke up every morning at 6:30 had breakfast and were in the water by around 7:30 am. Each dive was an hour long or until you reached 50 bar of air. Then we would pick up anchor and move to another site. My favorite dive sites were Light House Bommie, Steve’s Bommie and Sandras (you can google them if you are interested). Below are some of our scuba diving pictures! I only selected a few to post. To see more pictures click on the link.
Onboard TAKA
(the okay sign is what you do underwater to let your dive buddy know you are okay).
Scuba gear
Scuba diving the Great Barrier Reef was one word, a-ma-zing! It was by far the highlight of the whole vacation for me. It is something I have wanted to do my whole life. (My parents like to think I was a fish in another life). There is no way to describe how beautiful the Great Barrier Reef is. You feel like you are swimming in a huge aquarium where you are surrounded by schools of fish and fascinating, vibrant aquatic life. The pictures don’t do it justice. Some of my favorite sea creature encounters were nemo (clown fish), puffer fish, pipe fish, sting ray, lion fish, reef shark and sea turtle.
We saw this bad boy circling the reef. Thank goodness it didn't get too close to us.
4 comments:
I want to try scuba diving. I think it would be incredible. Love the pictures. I'm sure Australia has some of the best dive spots out there.
I am jealous!! It looks like you guys had so much fun! I can't wait to hear about the rest of your adventures :)
p.s. You are a beauty.
Christmas with Family < Christmas doing awesome things in Australia ... don't tell my mom. Great pictures, guys! Make sure to stay there for a few more years so that I can graduate from school, make lots of money and then visit!
Wow, that looks incredible! I think the santa hats look great! Way to show your Christmas spirit!
Post a Comment