Saturday, December 1, 2012

8 Days

We leave Perth in 8 days.  8 DAYS!!! How did that happen so fast?!?! It honestly feels like we just barely got here.  I cannot believe how fast the past 2 1/2 (almost three) years have gone!   
On Thursday they are moving all of our stuff, and we will be living in a hotel in the city for 3 nights until we fly out.  We will be making our trip home into a vacation to help break up the flights for Ella, and who wouldn't want to have a vacation in tropical paradise? We will be staying in Sydney for 2 days, Fiji for 4 days and Hawaii for 4 days.  I can't wait!!!  We will be home in Salt Lake for Christmas, then I'll be staying at my parents house until February.  Brandon has to come back to Perth through January to finish things up at his job.  Then we are off to the beautiful city of Elko Nevada.  hmmmm not quite as nice as Perth.  Okay not even close, but we are going to make the most out of our 2-3 years there.  Two great things about living in Elko Nevada is 1. we are only a 3 hour drive from SLC, and 2. Brandon's sister Heather and her husband are there, so we will be close to family!     

Cottesloe beach 

I have so many mixed emotions about leaving. I am SO excited to be close to family, but on the other hand extremely sad to be leaving Perth and all of our amazing friends here.  It's very bittersweet I suppose.  I wish that Perth wasn't so far away, because then at least i'd find comfort in knowing that we would be back to visit soon... but with Ella here, and our family just starting to grow who knows when that could be, 5, 10, 15 years down the road?  I hope not.  We love Perth!  For our thanksgiving party I made a list of 20 things that I'm thankful for in Australia (which I forgot to share at the party, but here they are anyway)... some of them are a joke.

  1. Amazing friends
  2. Meat pies & sausage rolls
  3. Tim tams, lamingtons, pavlova & violet crumble
  4. Holidays every month
  5. Toilets that have half flush and full flush 
  6. Switches on the outlets so that we don’t electrocute ourselves (haha this is a joke because our friend Anouck thought she was going to get electrocuted in the US because we don't have switches on the outlets)
  7. The footy referee because he is awesome!
  8. Beautiful beaches & amazing scuba diving/snorkeling 
  9. Clothes lines... I've actually grown to love them.  When it's hot outside the clothes dry in 10 min.  
  10. Perfect weather all year round
  11. Veggiemite (on toast with cheese)
  12. Han’s café (a tradition with the Williams' and Kendall's) 
  13. Sexy accents & Aussie slang (I wish Ella would grow up to have an Aussie accent)
  14. Gaytimes (it's a type of ice cream, but the name is also awesome)
  15. Ginger beer & lemon lime and bitters
  16. Kings Park
  17. Sausage sizzles & fish n' chips
  18. Koalas, Kangaroos and Quokkas 
  19. Killer mag pies (ok not really thankful for these.... more so thankful that mag pies in the US won't try to attack me)
  20. San Churros (oh my goodness the best churros and hot chocolate you've ever had in your life)









No comments: