Getting ready to leave for the race
Leading up to the race my knee had felt great. I was finally able to start training again and was running about 20 miles a week. So, with some positive thinking I decided to sign up for the half marathon in the City to Surf race. City to Surf is put on each year by Chevron and is a huge event for Perth. Literally thousands of people show up to run the 4k, 12k, half marathon or full marathon.
I was a little apprehensive about signing up, having flash backs from walking nearly half of the HBF run for a reason 14K. But I decided I would just go for it and hope for the best. Tuesday I went running and my stupid IT band decided to flare up again, with only a few days before the big race. I knew I would have to rest it until race day or else I wouldn't be crossing the finish line.
The race course was soooo hilly. Lots of steep climbs! Poor Mel got sick at about 4 miles and forced me to go on without her as she hung back a ways. It was hard leaving my wing woman behind. :( I had been taking it easy up until then, hoping that my knee would cooperate. Once I got to about mile 5 I decided I might as well give it all i've got and not hold back! So from then on I booked it, running a pace of 7 min 30 seconds a mile and was able to stay at about 8 minutes 30 seconds a mile on the steep up hill climbs... putting my heart 100% into crossing that finish line. I would rather cross the finish line limping knowing I gave it my all rather than take it easy.

Tired and sweaty at the finish line!
I crossed the finish line at 2 hours and 7 minutes without stopping (except for a few brief stops to shoot back some H2O). Wow what an amazing feeling. Words cannot express how I felt in that moment. It was an amazing feeling having Brandon cheering for me at the finish line... He has been so supportive and has really helped encourage me to complete me goal. I even got a little choked up reaching the finish line!

And then met up with Mel. What a gal.. She is my hero. Despite feeling horribly ill, she finished the race! That's my girl. Proud of you Mel. :)
After the race I got a complementary massage at the Barrick tent. Thanks Barrick!
It was an amazing day!!!! After all the hard work, sweat and tears put into running... I finally did it! and I can't wait to do it again... and hopefully soon, run the full marathon! Call me crazy, but I love it! I am so grateful for my health. I know I have been blessed. I have definitely learned a thing or two about patience and perseverance over these past 6 months. :)
crossing the finish line!
3 comments:
Almost brought a tear to my eye seeing you cross the finish line. So proud of you! xoxo
Lisa, I am SO proud of you!! Congratulations. I would love to do a half marathon some day. he he. If I could get myself all trained up for it. Love ya girlie!
LISA!! That is awesome. I'm so proud of you!! I loved reading this post and you even look so great at the finish line.
A 1/2 marathon is a huge accomplishment. I don't think people realize the TIME commitment it takes to train and actually DO the race. This made me so happy :)
Post a Comment