Sunday, August 7, 2011

A new obsession

With the end of uni in sight and having started as a therapy assistant at Next Challenge. I decided it was time to get organized and start preparing for the big bad working world!
Initially I was going back and forth torn between working with kids or adults once I graduate. After finishing my prac at Next Challenge and being hired on as a therapy assistant, I decided I definitely wanted to work with kids. Therapy with kids just comes easier to me for some reason. Maybe because I'm still a kid at heart (which I will prove to you as you continue reading this post). I also decided my ultimate goal down the road is to open my own private clinic for kids, maybe I can even get my sis, who is majoring in OT, to join me one day. :)

Brandon bought me a new desk a few weeks ago. I guess he was a little tired of having all my stuff sprawled out across the dining room table. This gave me the nudge I needed to get my butt in gear and get organized. After completing 3 semesters of full time uni, and 6 pracs there was lots of paper work lying around.


The new desk!

I gathered all of my resources. labeled them and put them nicely organized into the plastic drawers.
Organized the book shelf. The bottom row is all my stuff from uni over the past year and a half.
And organized my binders!
I had slowly gathered a few things here and there over the course of my 6 different pracs and I had started to build a nice collection of resources. I love buying resources. Especially stuff for kids. I'm a sucker for toys and all types of kid supplies really. Having decided that I want to eventually open my own clinic in the future, gave me even more of a reason to start stocking up on the resources. Which has now become my new obsession.... Buying resources! I would take shopping for resources over clothes shopping (even shoe shopping) any day, hands down. So for the past week I have been organizing my old resources and stocking up on a few new things here and there.
My arts and crafts collection!
My book collection (all from thrift shops and discount book stores)
My toy collection.... right now its just felt story boards, play dough and bowling pins. pretty pathetic at the moment. But tomorrow I'm going to go scope out 'pop up pirate', 'guess who' and 'don't break the ice'. All of which are on my top list for therapy games.
Yesterday I bought this little kitchen set for way cheap at Target. I was so excited about buying this it almost felt like Christmas!
If you area little confused as to why a speech pathologist would need toys and kids supplies let me clarify. I've heard this many times "Speech pathologists just work with lisps and stutters right," so what's with the toys? Well, first off if you've ever worked with kids before you know very well that they need to be entertained and motivated or you are going to get no where. (I have recently gained a HUGE appreciation for teachers). Secondly, we don't just work with speech. We also work with language, comprehension and literacy skills.... which requires resources!
I also bought reward items for my kids at prac and my clients at work.
And I printed off some reward sticker charts!
Oh how I love resources!!!!! To be continued...

No comments: