Monday, April 19, 2010

Introducing.......

I would like to introduce the very first "Aussie Slang Word of the Day." This is a new blog tradition i'm starting. I will give you a new aussie slang word with every blog entry. So here it is... Since it is the opening day of "Aussie Slang Word of the Day," you will get to learn 3 new Aussie words. The words for today are...
Bathers: Bathing suit
Sunnies: Sun Glasses
Bogan: A person who takes little pride in his apperance,
spending his days slacking and drinking beer
So since it's been awhile since I last wrote, I'll give you a quick update, skim through the boring day to day happenings and get to the exciting part, which is, my family's visit to Perth! More pictures below... I yet again have an excuse for my lack of writing, which is... uni is taking over my life. This is no joke. I literally have not had a life for the past two weeks, since my family left. Poor Brandon has had no attention, our house looks as though a tornado has swept through, and we have been living off frozen pizzas. I had a 14 page research paper due, which I turned in today, as well as a midterm that was also today. The research paper was by far the hardest paper I have ever had to write. I don't know why in my right mind, I thought grad school would be a breeze.. Definitely not. I won't bore you with details of my paper, but I will say this, it was h-e-l-l. (don't be alarmed.. I'm in Australia, and it's quite alright to say hell here.) Moving on.. So I have been wracking my brain for the past two weeks, trying to force in as much knowledge as possible before information starts slipping through the cracks. I stayed in Saturday and Sunday, missing the Red Bull Air Race that came to Perth. Infact, one of the planes actually crashed into the swan river. Which you can check out... here. No one was hurt luckily. But, I had to miss all these exciting happenings to study. Having turned in my paper, and finished my exam, I can finally breath, relax, and most importantly, blog! My only other update, is that I have found a new passion in life, and it is called yoga. No I'm not going to turn into some tree hugging hippy, that lights insense and meditates. But I think it could be my new favorite hobby. I started a yoga class last Tuesday. I am really looking forward to going to my class this week. I can't wait to learn a head stand, which I will post pictures of this once I accomplish it. :) Updates on Brandon's end include: His trip to Paupa was postponed, because his company couldn't get their act together in getting flights arranged. So they are re-scheduling that. Lucky for me, I didn't have to be alone all week, unfortunately for him I was studying all week.
Now for the exciting news!!! My family arrived April 2nd at 10:15 pm. I had been anxiously counting down the days, hours, and minutes to their arrival. It took them a full 48 hours of traveling to get here. They went through a lot to make it out to see me, and I'm so grateful they did. I was so excited to see them for the first time. I may have even got a little teary eyed as I watched them walk through the gate. :) I love my family so much! I am so grateful that they were able to come out for a visit, and that I could show them around my new home, Perth!
The start of this slide show presentation will begin on Saturday April 3rd, with our trip to Fremantle! We took them to Cicerrelo's, which is voted the #1 fish n' chips place in Freo. Michelle and my Mum really enjoyed it.

Havin a bundy! (Bundaberg Ginger Beer) Michelle thought it was okay, my mom thought it tasted like mold. ha As for me, it still remains my favorite Aussie bev, coming in for a close second would be lemon lime and bitters.


Next on the agenda, I found it appropriate, it being their first official day in Perth, to take them to prison. We took a tour of the Fremantle prison, which was built by convicts in the 1850's and remained functioning until 1991. It was a really great tour. Here are some pictures inside the prison. Enter if you darrrrrrrrrrrre...............




I thought this was a really neat cell. The prisoner must have enjoyed art, and used painting as a way to pass the time. I suppose if I had to live there, it would be in this one.



This is the chapel in the prison. It was really cool looking, but also had a bit of a creepy feel to it. The tour guide told us that people choose to get married here. Strange. Although, Michelle does look fairly content in this picture. Don't worry Chell, you can always come back and re newyour vows some day.

Sorry this is a bit morbid.. but here is where they gave people the death sentence. The youngest person to receive the death penalty was 14 years old. (Obviously this was a very long long time ago) I thought this was very sad. I can't imagine what a 14 year old would do to deserve that.

Us kids... clownin around as usual.
It was a wonderful day. The best part of it was, that I had my family there with me! I loved spending time with them. I just wanted to soak up every little minute while they were there.
I am going to be a dedicated blogger from now on. I plan to post blog entries for each day of my familys visit... so stay tuned for more pictures!


















2 comments:

Jade said...

I adore you and your aussie-ness.
Keep the posts coming. They are awesomeness blogified.
xx

Jordan and Heather Hart said...

Can I come and renew my vows there as well??? How creepy!!! Ah, i miss you guys SO SO much. Are you guys thinking seriously on the Disneyland issue??? Please come home soon because I miss my "Lost" buddies. P.S. Beck cut a tooth!!