Friday, February 26, 2010

Having a "Gaytime" here in Aussie


So I may be slightly immature... but does anyone else find this advertisement amusing? ha Every time I see it I can't help but chuckle to myself. It is an advertisement for a "golden gaytime," which is a type of ice cream bar and shake. They couldn't have picked a better slogan in my opinion. Speaking of "gaytimes" I had one of them, a shake from KFC, (yes they have KFC here) and it was quite splendid. My friend Mel and I enjoyed one together... so I guess it's true, it's hard to have a gaytime on your own. ;)
Moving on... we are having a gay time here in Australia, ok I'll stop now with the gay time... But we are having "heaps" of fun (another fun Australian word). We met a young couple in our ward, Jacob and Mel, who are our ages, and they have been amazing to us. They have been so friendly and helpful, with getting us acquainted in the new city/country. They have taken us on various tours around the city, shown us the hot spots around town, helped us look for places to live, and introduced us to the Australian culture. I have learned a whole new vocabulary in these past short couple of weeks. it is fascinating, how even though we speak the same language, we say things completely different. Here are some of the fun words I've learned thus far.... a rubbish bin is a garbage can. Lolly stands for any kind of candy, and usually is referring to something with chocolate in it. They call red heads "rangas" (like orangutans), similar to how we call blonds toe heads, although I'm not sure how that term came across. They are found of using the word reckon... as in I reckon so, or what do you reckon. If you call someone trailer trash, you would say they are so "derrow", that could be an actual word, I'm not really sure. Here's a great one, they can say damnit and hell all they want and it's not considered a swear word. Just to clear this up... you may have heard that fanny is a swear word in Australia, which is actually false. As our friends so kindly put it, fanny mean the front end of a girls bum, but is not really offensive to say. ha But they don't use the term fanny pack... so we're going to have to say bum bag from now on. I thought this was humorous... this is particularly for the Reese family, who enjoy potty humor. :) I was enrolling for my classes this week, and a lovely Aussie woman was helping me, as she pulled up my schedule she said "oh you have a tute" ummmm excuse me?? "tute" is short for tutorial, which is a session where students go and ask questions, and refresh their memory on the past lecture. I thought this was pretty funny. They like to shorten words, much like the term uni (short for university) they say brekky for breakfast, and Mackers for Mcdonalds. There are so many other fun terms I've learned, but I'm spacing them at the moment. I'll make sure to write them down next time I hear them, so I can pass it along. Now if any of you fellow readers ever come to Aussie you'll be pros at their lingo.
Mel and Jacob are trying to teach us how to speak "Aussie" and Brandon and I are teaching them how to speak "American". They think we say our "r's" funny, and that we lengthen our words out more than them. I'm trying my best to acquire the Australian accent, but so far it is just coming out British sounding.. but with some good coaching, hopefully I'll make some improvements. They also think Americans have amazing teeth. lol
Miss you all. have a lovely weekend!!!

7 comments:

Michelle Taggart said...

haha! I am glad you are having a gay old time! miss you

Jordan and Heather Hart said...

I love that sign. How hilarious! Oh... and yes... we do love potty humor. It cracks us up no matter what. I would have laughed if someone said "tute" to me as well. Ah, such is the American way, I suppose. I love hearing about the differences in American culture.. very interesting. If you come home with an Aussie accent, that would be sweet. It's a hard accent to conquer I think. Miss you tons! p.s. bring me back a bum bag!

Rachel Bullough Easton said...

AHAHAHA I'm totally with you on that picture! Rather amusing indeed!

Reminds me of a magazine cover I saw in Austria on the train... It read, "Charley's tante"... so vulgar, yet soooo helarious!

Natalie said...

I love the sign! haha. Australian terms are "heaps" of fun. :)

Jade said...

Ok - I feel obliged to make a slight correction here. Lollies definately do NOT refer to chocolate. THAT my yankie friend would always be referred to as chocolate.
Derro is basically a shortened version of derelict is that helps you any!
And GAYTIMES are the BOMB. They are the best freaking icecreams you can get here. I'll buy you one soon. I promise. and yes the name is funny - but it just adds to their goodness. :)

Lisa Reese said...

thank you Jade for your words of wisdom concerning lollies. Yes I am aware of the mistake.. I just couldn't be bothered to fix it. But if there are any other cool Aussie words you would like to pass on, please let me know. My people are eagerly waiting!

Jade said...

Heather - I DON'T HAVE AN ACCENT!
p.s. bum bags are GAY - get her to bring you something good - like a GAYTIME? or a boomerang... or some gingerbeer? or some cadbury...
mmmm cadbury