Brandon had meetings all day today, and I had the day free from orientation, so in a search of something to do to pass the time, I decided to take a walk up to Kings Park. It is about a thirty minute walk from our hotel. It was a perfect way to spend my afternoon. I was able to walk through the beautiful Botanic Gardens, and familiarize myself with some of the local plants and animals that live in the bush, as well as get an amazing view of the city.
Great view of Perth; such a beautiful city!
The bushwalking begins.... This is a loop trail that goes all around Kings Park. The loop didn't have the best directions, and at one point I wasn't sure which way to go and ended up literally in the bush. I was all of a sudden on a dirt trail scrambling through the bushes, searching for the way out. This may be sound like an adventure... but knowing what I know now about dangerous creatures in the bush, I wasn't too thrilled. I am currently reading In a Sunburned Country, by Bill Bryson, which is a humerus account of his experience traveling through Australia. (I highly recommend it) Although this book tends to dramatize things, it still has left me slightly paranoid... As I was walking through the bush, all I could think about was Bill Brysons account of all the deadly creatures that live there. In Bill Brysons words, "Out of the worlds ten most poisonous snakes, all are Australian. Five of it's creatures the funnel web spider, box jelly fish, blue ringed octopus, paralysis tick, and stonefish are the most lethal of their type in the world. If you are not stung or pronged to death in some unexpected manner, you may be fatally chomped by sharks or crocodiles, or carried helplessly out to sea by irresistible currents, or left to stagger to an unhappy death in the baking outback... it's a tough place." So Although I knew I was safe from any aquatic creatures at this point, I was very cautious at to where I was walking on the trail, to make sure I didn't run across a friendly snake sunning itself on a nearby rock (which has happened to me before in Salt Lake.)
7 comments:
how beautiful lisa! I am in aww! I want to come visit so bad!! And a hike like that sounds great about now considering it is snowing. I am dying for summer!
Lisa loo! YOu look great! and so happy to be there. I am glad your updating your blog so much, thank you! I kinda feel like im there in a way. I am so jealous of the weather it looks so beautiful out there. I wish i had money i would come visit you tomorrow :)but for now i will like vicariously through your blog. i love you!
Yeah I'm having a great time. It is so beautiful here and I'm loving the warm weather... except i'm pasty and keep getting sunburned. You and Josh will have to come visit in the next couple years while we are over here. You'll have a place to stay and an awesome tour guide, me! :)
Miss you.
P.S you need to update your blog.. you're slackin.
Ha ha- I laughed when I read the excerpt from that book. I would be paranoid as well. How funny! I love that treetop bridge as well. That is SO cool! I'm glad you get to explore beautiful places in Perth. We miss you guys terribly. I still really want to come out next year. Ah, that'd be an amazing trip. Keep the posts coming- you are doing an awesome job. Oh.. and good luck with school on March 1. You'll do great!
It looks like a beautiful city! I've been reading a series called "The Tomorrow Series" by John Marsden and it's set in Australia. I would love to visit Australia sometime. Stay clear of the poisonous creatures!
Yay! I'm glad you're updating your blog:)
Can you send some of that sun our way?!
What beautiful scenery!!! That bridge is genius! I so want to come out and visit!!!!!!
Post a Comment