| First family photo |
My hospital stay with Andi was different from when I had Ella. For one, I was in the hospital with Ella for a full week. Ella was in the NICU for four days or so, and then after that had trouble nursing so they had us stay a couple more days to make sure she was feeding properly. I was only in the hospital for two days with Andi, and no NICU (thank goodness). Another difference was when I had Ella Brandon stayed at the hospital with me and spent the night. This time around since it was baby #2 Brandon had to stay home and take care of Ella. He brought Ella in the mornings and late afternoons to visit, and then came back in the evenings to spend some alone time with Andi and I while my mom watched Ella. I missed Brandon and Ella being around, but at the same time it was nice to have some alone time with Andi. I really tried to soak in those peaceful moments of holding, and nursing her. Just the two of us... because I knew once I got home it was going to be pretty hectic trying to juggle a two year old and a newborn. I also just wanted to cherish my time in the hospital with Andi being so new and fresh from heaven. With this being my second baby I know just how fast they grow up. I wish newborn snuggles would last forever. I love the way newborns smell, how petal soft their skin is, how they fold up into a little ball when you hold them, and the little newborn noises they make. Pure perfection!
| Daddy with his girls |
The other main difference was we had family around this time! Back in Australia we experienced the pregnancy, and delivery with just the two of us, which was also special in its own way. This time around I was grateful to have my mom, mother in law and sister be there for the birth, and both of our families were able to come visit in the hospital. My best friend Rachel even surprised me and flew in from California to visit us in the hospital. Best surprise ever! I loved showing off my sweet baby girl, and it was so wonderful to have all the love and support. Thank you to everyone that visited. I wasn't very good about remembering to take photos so I didn't get a picture of everyone that came to visit.
One thing I find funny is people always tell you "make sure to rest in the hospital because you won't get much rest when you get home." That is completely false haha. The first night in the hospital they came in to check me every 2 hours! Different nurses came in at different times to take my blood pressure, check my bleeding, temperature etc. In addition to that I was up every couple hours nursing Andi, so I would just be laying down to go to sleep after feeding Andi and the nurse would walk in the door to check me. On top of that I started getting additional blood clots in my leg so a vascular surgeon kept coming in to check my veins. The pediatrician came in a few times to check on Andi. It was a nightmare. Michelle slept over at the hospital with me the first night since Brandon was with Ella. Sometime around 5:00 am someone came in to test the tap water in my room, and Michelle and I just burst out laughing. seriously?!?! couldn't it wait until 7 or 8 o'clock. Then the resident that delivered Andi came in around 6:00 am to discuss contraceptive options with me. I could have punched him in the face. haha Then there were visitors coming off and on during the day, which that part I loved.
Despite getting zero sleep I will definitely look back and cherish the memories of my hospital stay with Andi. Some days I wish I could go back and relive those moments with Ella. Not the pain part, but just the fresh, new feeling part. Oh babies. Such miracles. I am so grateful for my little family. They mean everything to me. :)
| Going home as a family of four! |
| Ella was so excited that she got to ride in the wheel chair with me :) |
1 comment:
You make me want my baby NOW! Such great pictures you have to cherish! You look pretty and well-rested in them all!!
Post a Comment