Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Grandma Amussen comes to Perth

Ella got to spend time with her grandma for two weeks, and boy did Ella love it!  My mom booked her ticket to Perth on June 10th hoping to make it for the birth, but since Ella decided to join us early that didn't exactly go as planned.  
It almost turned out better this way anyway because I was recovered for the most part (besides being extremely sleep deprived), so we were able to go out and do some fun things together.  It was so nice having my mom out and such a blessing.  Having my mom come visit made me realise even more how much a miss family and wish that I didn't live so far away.  It is nice to have that support close by.  My mom is what I like to call a "baby expert."  Having worked in the newborn intensive care unit for 30 plus years, she has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to babies... and let me tell you I definitely take advantage of it.  Ever since I got home from the hospital my mom would receive daily text messages or phone calls asking for advice, so it was nice to have her staying in the same house, so I could pick her brain 24/7. haha  I also enjoyed chatting with my mom about when Michelle and I were babies and hearing all the funny stories.  Having a baby of your own definitely makes you appreciate all that your mom went through... Especially my mom.  I can't imagine taking care of twins!!!  One baby is handful!  We had a great time together while she was here.  I loved having the company, and it was nice to get out of the house.  Getting out of the house with a newborn is a bit stressful in the beginning I must admit.  There is so much stuff to cart around, a stroller, a car seat and a diaper bag full of all sorts of things.  I feel like i'm carrying around Mary Poppins bag... an endless pit filled with baby items.  There is so much preparation involved just to go run the simplest errand.   Also getting use to breast feeding in public, and dealing with a fussy baby when you are on the go are all things that take practice.  I'm grateful that my mom was here to help me tackle some of these hurtles.  Another wonderful thing about having my mom here was that I got to sleep!  We took turns being on "Ella duty." I usually did the late night shift, and my mom took her from 4:00am on so I could sleep in.  Ella is a bit of a night owl, so this was such a blessing.  The sleep was very much needed, and I really appreciated it.  
I miss my mom so much! I wish that she was still here.  I will be going home to visit at the end of July, so only one more month until I get to see her again.  Until then.... expect lots of phone calls and text messages mom!  ;)  I love you!!! 


No comments: