Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Language development activity: Digging for dinosaurs with cloud dough

I decided to try something new on the good old blog.  I will now be sharing tips and activities on ways to encourage language development in toddlers.  I have a new website that I'm working on getting up and running that will be dedicated solely to this cause, but until I direct you else where you can find these posts on my personal blog.  Hopefully, down the road my website will expand into other areas of speech/language development and therapy.
As most of you know I am a speech language pathologist (SLP).  Prior to bringing my little Ella bug into the world, I worked as an SLP in Perth Australia for a private speech pathology clinic for children, Next Challenge.  One of the areas I enjoyed working in most was early intervention (aka working with the little ones from birth-4 years old).  Now that I'm a stay at home mom I get my quota of one on one time with a very busy toddler, which allows me plenty of time to brush up on my therapy skills.  In order to keep things entertaining, and avoid doing the same mundane routine day after day, I like to introduce a few new activities each week into our schedule.  Let's face it, as a stay at home mom sometimes it can feel like you are in the twighlight zone where the days seem to repeat themselves.  Now these activities usually aren't too exotic, although sometimes I like to show my creative side... but other times it's as easy as going on a rock hunt in the garden, and seeing all the different rocks we can collect in our bucket.  

Rule #1: It's not so much the activity that you DO, but the language that you USE. :) So if you aren't in a creative mood, fear not because these tips are still very relevant for you.

So let's get started on our first activity (drum roll please), 
"Digging for Dinosaurs with Cloud Dough."   
Supplies needed:    
Cloud Dough: Mix flour and baby oil (or vegetable oil if your child is in the "I stick everything in my mouth stage," like mine).  Gradually add oil to the flour and mix until you are able to mold the flour in your hands. 
Large container for cloud dough
Bucket and shovel (optional)*
Small plastic animals or dinosaurs*
Sand box toys (optional)*
supplies 
Cloud dough
dinosaurs
*You have the option to be as creative as you want here.  Adapt the supplies to whatever suits you.  If you don't have a bucket and shovel use a cup, spoon, bowl, measuring cup etc.  You can also dig for toy animals, dinosaurs, cars, rocks... really you can use whatever you have around the house, or whatever interests your child.  Do not feel like you need to go out and buy all new toys for the activity... again going back to rule #1, it isn't so much about the activity/supplies, it's 100% about the language!  ;)    
Now I will give a pre warning... this is a MESSY activity.  My advice is to use a plastic swimming pool (if you have one) outside, that way when you are finished with the activity you can scoop up the cloud dough, put it back in your container and rinse off the pool with a hose.  Easy peasy.  I did attempt playing with cloud dough in my kitchen, and it was disaster.... but hey, if you don't mind a mess go for it! I've also heard of people using cloud dough in the bath tub, but I was still a little skeptical that my drain might clog.



Brief overview
Just a few things to keep in mind before starting the activity.  First of all in order for this activity to work you must get down on your child's level and play with them... sitting back and relaxing with a lemonade while your child plays, isn't going to do the trick (although sometimes it's a nice break). So get ready for some messy fun with your little one! Remember we are focusing on  language.  The dialogue I use, or tips I recommend may sound a bit corny typed out, but trust me the more language the better. Don't be afraid to sound silly.  I know it feels a little strange, especially if your child is at the stage where they aren't talking much. Children learn through exposure, and experience... so be assured that what you are saying does matter (even if they don't let you know).  Some of these tips may be common sense to some of you, some of you may be doing these skills already without knowing it, and for others this may be new information.  The three main therapy strategies I will be discussing are 1. Self talk 2. Parallel talk 3. Expansion   

 1. Introduce the activity:  Here is an example of something you might say.  (open the box) "Wow look what I have Ella. We are going to play with sand today (you don't have to be too specific... cloud dough and sand are pretty much on the same level).  Look! There are dinosaurs hidden inside.  Do you see the dinosaur hiding? We are going to dig for dinosaurs. (grab the shovel and start digging in the sand). I wonder what type of dinosaurs are inside. Can you help me find the dinosaurs?" (hand child the shovel).      
Language Tips:   Notice how I emphasized the word "dinosaurs".  Since this is probably the first time Ella has seen a dinosaur (she is only 14 months, and unfortunately you can't see those at the zoo). I made sure to use the word as frequently as possible while showing her what it was. Repetition, repetition, repetition.  A child has to hear a word multiple, multiple times before they are able to store the word and use it.  
Ella digging in
2. Follow the child's lead:  My therapy strategies are based on child centered therapy.  I find most success in therapy when I follow the child's lead.  Don't try to control the activity too much.  Allow your child to move at their own pace, and explore.  Pay close attention to what their actions, body language and words are telling you.  The first thing Ella did was poke her finger in the sand (you could tell she was a little timid and needed some coaxing). I followed her lead by taking some sand in my hands, feeling it and letting it run through my fingers.  "I'm touching the sand.  It feels soft." I said.  Sure enough Ella did the same thing.  
Language Tips: Use "Self Talk": Talk about what you are doing (eg I'm digging in the sand, I'm making a sand castle etc.) use "Parallel Talk":  Talk about what they are doing (eg You're playing in the sand. You found a dinosaur).  If the child is a little hesitant take the lead and show them what to do, using self talk.  Then sit back and watch as they follow your example, and make sure to add in lots of parallel talk. :)   
      
3. Expand their language:  Again, watch your child's body language, actions, and words, and remember that this is their way of communicating to you!  Ella knows a few words, but for the most part she grunts and points.  This is called the illocutionary stage (up until about 2 years, when their vocabulary really starts to expand, their communication will be primarily through non verbal communication aka: pointing, grunting, reaching, signs etc).  

Language Tips: Pay close attention to those communication attempts.  For example, if your child hands you the shovel, this means "I want you to dig." From there use expansion.  In this example the child has non verbally expressed shovel/dig. Expand on what the child has said. Take the shovel and say "shovel. It's a red shovel.  You use a shovel for digging in the sand." Then throw in some of your fancy self talk:  "I'm going to dig with the shovel. I'm going to dig for some dinosaurs. I wonder what dinosaurs I will find.  Oh look I found a small blue dinosaur.  Look this dinosaur has a long neck."  You get the idea.... Remember to use lots of repetition, and descriptive language.  If your child is using words, again use expansion.  For example, Ella's favorite word lately is "ball."  I made a ball out of the sand and handed it to her.  She grabbed it and said "ball" (just as I was hoping). I expanded her utterance by saying "That's right, it's a ball.  I made the sand into a ball.  You're holding a ball."  If your child is two years or older they are likely using short phrases with two or more words (eg "sand dig").  Use the same strategies (eg "That's right you are digging in the sand.  You are using your red shovel to dig in the sand.")   Repeat what they said and expand the utterance, then throw in lots of repetition and descriptive language.  
  


4. Descriptive language: Although I've already touched on this briefly.  Remember to use lots of descriptive language.  I'm talking about semantics here people... Talk about the size, shape, color, texture, special features etc. Remember these little kids are like sponges soaking in ever little thing you are saying (the good and the bad)... so might as well make it count.  ;) Throughout the activity I would also ask Ella "where's the dinosaur?" and she was able to point to it.  One more word stored into her receptive language.  Success!!!


When we were finished playing we scooped up the cloud dough, put it in our container for another day, and rinsed out the tub.
Ella enjoyed helping me rinse off the toys. :) 
Hope these tips helped! Thanks for reading, and stay tuned... more language development activities and tips to come! If you have any questions or comments make sure to leave a comment below with your email address so I can respond. :)
X Lisa, your SLP go to mom  










1 comment:

Lara said...

K I'm so excited your doing this on your blog! Cause not only am I in need of some different activities to do with my kids, but Colby is at the age where these types of activities would be super beneficial ( he's just turning 18 mos). So doing this tomorrow, and looking forward to your posts!
-Lara